Monday, October 26

All the above

What's better than to use a rainy Monday evening for a good weekend reflection? I can't think of anything, so here goes nothing.

Thursday was Tyler's first birthday, as I informed you yesterday.
Friday I watched the Lindsey kids while LB and Lyndy went to a Halloween party dressed as Skipper and Ginger from Gilligan's Island.. HILARIOUS, I wish I had a picture to show you! And then I met my dearest friend Rachel out for a little while.
Saturday I ran about 6 miles and watched the poor little piggies against Ole Miss (I think that can go without explanation) And I wrapped that evening up with a much needed sushi dinner date and night out with my great friend Kirsten.
Sunday, oh how I love Sundays, I didn't do a thing. Not a thing. I worked on my Bible study lesson and couldn't put Nicholas Sparks new book "The Last Song" down! Not to mention I read cover to cover the new REAL Simple November issue, oh man, I am ready for fall and brainstorming some great ideas thanks to that issue. So wait, I guess I did do stuff Sunday, I was a complete book worm. What a dork.

Late Sunday night I got a text from Sarah to check my email and I to my surprise I had this in my Inbox:

Cooper and his OCDness coming out. No worries, I texted Sarah and told her she can probably thank me for this issue. He learned this lovely trait from his lovely babysitter. OOPS! (I secretly love this, and love even more that Sarah caught this in action)

A heavy thought on my heart:
Peter. One of the twelve disciples of Jesus. He was the rock that God built His church on and also probably one of the weaker disciples. I have seen myself in Peter a lot this year. In Matthew I am reminded of the time that Jesus told his disciples that it was in God's will that He was going to be arrested. Jesus went willingly when the soldiers came for Him, but eager, loving Peter tried to take the matter in his own hands by raising his sword and cutting off the ear of one solider. Jesus looked at Peter and said "Put your sword away."

Later, in John, sometime after Jesus had risen, He greeted His disciples while they were fishing. The disciples were out in the middle of the sea in a boat. Precious Peter was so excited to see that Jesus was standing on the shore that he jumped into the water. He began swimming to the shore to see his King. Needless to say, the boat probably reached the shore long before Peter made it.

I am Peter. I have my own time frame, my own plans. When I don't see things happening, I try to make them happen and Jesus says "Kenlie, put your sword away. Put away your plans. Do you not want to do what your Father has asked?" So like Peter, I put my plans away. I put my defenses away. And I wait. Patiently. Watching everything happen perfectly, in God's own timing.
I am Peter. Excitedly jumping into things, and then standing, sopping wet, at the feet of the Lord as He is smiling at my stupidity. I get excited, forget to think things through, and end up doing them the long way. Every time, though, just as with Peter, Jesus welcomes my soaking wet self into His arms and is simply happy to see me.

I mess up. I try too hard. I jump to quick and think I can do this on my own. I am not always patient. I am far from perfect, and God will still use me. God will establish great things through me. He knows I will make a big mess and I will do things the long and hard way. But He has a plan for me, and has the most perfect timing.

These stories of Peter enlighten me. Although our actions aren't ideal in Jesus' eyes, I know I'm not alone. I know I am taken care of. And for whatever happens will happen at the most perfect time. My sword is put away. I will not jump until the time is right and without God's hand.

Goodnight friends.
Have a wonderful week!
Acts 5: 38,39

1 comment:

  1. Kenlie I couldn't agree more... I get very anixous and excited and I want to jump in and start swimming... but if we take our fast route it's not always the best route, it's almost never the best route. The best route in the end is God's route. Thanks for sharing that... Peter is a great disciple that you can easily relate to in so many ways and it really makes you learn/think. Have a good week! Talk to you soon =)

    ReplyDelete

I can't wait to see what you have to say!!!