Friday, October 9

"Q" (Post #2 for today)

I lied. I didn't fall asleep.

As I attempted to go to sleep I thought about a very random, but mind boggling thought Sarah brought to my attention the other night.

Cooper and Sarah walked in Wednesday night after church and he was singing some little ABC song that they were listening to in the car. He got to the letter "Q" and then said something like "Q followed by the letter U".. First thought, no, R follows after Q. Sarah and I looked at each other. She looked at me and said "Keke, maybe you can prove me wrong but can you think of any words that aren't spelled 'Qu--' I've been thinking the whole way home and that is the only thing I can think of that song that song might be saying.".. HUM. 'queen, question, quit, quite, quiet, quarter, quick..' NOPE SURE CAN'T! So I get out my phone and go the the Dictionary and start typing in "qu, qi, qe,qa.. and so forth. Nothing.

So tonight as I lay in my bed unable to sleep I pull out the ol' dictionary. According to Webster Handy College Dictionary there are two words that are not spelled "qu--"

1. qiana: meaning silk like nylon fabric
2. qwerty: meaning having certain layout of keys on the keyboard (first 6 letter on the top left row)

Now, I don't have like the true, every word in the English language dictionary in my hands, but according to this one. Yes Sarah, it is accurate to say that almost all Q words are followed by the letter U.

Thank you toddler ABC song for teaching a 33 and 23 years old a little bit about their own language they have been speaking for a good while now. Appreciated.

Maybe this is something everyone knows. News to us though.

Makes for a good laugh! Or a good trivia question??

OK! For real, GOODNIGHT!

2 comments:

  1. I love you QUEEN! Ha, Sarah
    We can't be the only ones that didn't realize this stupid trivia....

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Kenlie! that is sooo interesting!

    ReplyDelete

I can't wait to see what you have to say!!!